The Archdiocese of Atlanta was created on February 21, 1962, from the Diocese of Atlanta which was established on July 2, 1956.
The archdiocese encompasses 21,445 square miles in north Georgia. It includes the 69 counties north of and including the following counties: Lincoln, McDuffie, Warren, Hancock, Baldwin, Putnam, Jasper, Monroe, Upson, Meriwether and Troup.
The Most Reverend Wilton D. Gregory, S.L.D. is the Archbishop of Atlanta.
We, the faithful of the Archdiocese of Atlanta, are a people of prayer, love and joy who are dedicated to the salvation of all. As disciples and believers in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, we proclaim the good news and grow in faith, hope, love and service to others. We are unified in our commitment to sacramental life, pastoral care and life-long formation in our Roman Catholic faith. We express our love through evangelization, fellowship, Catholic education, social services and charity in the full pursuit of effective discipleship.
The Archdiocese of Atlanta continues to flourish today. Since the beginning of Archbishop Gregory’s tenure, eight additional parishes and five missions have been organized, resulting in 101 parishes and missions (including one station and a basilica). The Catholic population of the Archdiocese has risen to over 1,000,000. The oldest operating parish in the archdiocese, originally established as a mission in 1845, is Saint Joseph in Washington, Georgia. The oldest Catholic church still standing is Sacred Heart in Milledgeville, Georgia, which was built in 1874.
In 2009, His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, named the Most Reverend Luis Rafael Zarama of Pasto, Colombia, as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Atlanta.
In 2013, His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, named the Most Reverend David P. Talley of Columbus, GA as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Atlanta.