The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta  

Parishes, by Date of Establishment

Parishes:

(Date that a church was officially established as a canonical parish. Most were missions for some years before.)

Footnotes for parishes:

  • Saint Joseph, Washington: Originally called Saint Patrick c. 1840.
  • Saint Joseph, Athens: Priest permanently assigned in 1910. Priests previously assigned in 1873 and 1908.
  • Saint Mary, Rome: Probably June 18 or June 30, 1929.
  • Saint Joseph, Marietta: Began as a mission of Sacred Heart, Atlanta in 1906.
  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, Atlanta: Possibly May 2 rather than May 8.
  • Saint Pius X, Conyers: Began on the grounds of the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in 1958.
  • All Saints, Dunwoody: Document dated March 21, 1977.
  • Prince of Peace, Flowery Branch: The original location was in Buford.
  • Saint Michael, Woodstock: Date first pastor installed.

** Approximate date. No official records have been found with exact date.



Missions:

(Dates for the establishment of missions are particularly obscure, but the following have been authenticated.)