Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary Station, Sharon
Note: The church and the old cemetery are under the care of Saint Joseph, Washington.
Brief History of Locust Grove and the Church of the Purification
The oldest history of the Archdiocese of Atlanta is written on the flyleaf of the 1822-1844 sacramental register of the Purification Church by Bishop John England. Catholics began settling in the Locust Grove area of Georgia around 1790 and were originally part of the mission territory of the Diocese of Baltimore. John England (1786-1842) was the first Bishop of Charleston from 1820-1842 and visited Purification Church several times. The original register has been restored and is housed in the Archdiocesan Archives.
Edited by Carolyn S. Denton
April 20, 2010