Saint Ann, Marietta
In April of 1976, Archbishop Thomas A. Donnellan, realizing the growth of the Catholic community in Cobb County, purchased 7.18 acres of land on the corner of Bishop Lake Road and Roswell Road for the construction of a future parish.
On July 3, 1978, the Archbishop established Saint Ann as the fifth Catholic Parish in Cobb County. The new parish district would be drawn from territory that had formerly belonged to Holy Family Parish. The parish was given to the care of the missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette, an order headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut.
The first masses were held the weekend of August 19 and 20, 1978, at Mount Zion Methodist Church. The parish community was first known as the “Bishop Lake Catholic Church,” and on September 20, 1980, the Archbishop consulted with the community and placed the parish under the patronage of Saint Ann Mother of the Blessed Virgin Mary, renaming the parish Saint Ann.
Groundbreaking for the new church was on January 13, 1980, with as many as 500 registered families waiting for the new church. On Christmas Eve, 1980, the first Mass was celebrated in the new church. Following shortly after was the church’s dedication on January 3, 1981 by Archbishop Donnellan.
As soon as the church was built it experienced an influx of new members, necessitating the construction of a balcony to expand the church’s seating capacity from 600 to 1000. Over the years, the church has undergone a variety of additions and renovations to accommodate the growing church community.