Saint Augustine, Covington
Saint Augustine (Covington)
In October of 1959, Bishop Francis E. Hyland designated Covington, southeast of Atlanta, as the Saint Augustine Mission. During the mission’s first year, mass was celebrated in the American Legion Hall, and the mission’s second location was a second story storage room in downtown Covington. In 1960, the Saint Augustine mission became attached to Saints Peter and Paul in Decatur. While in the charge of Saints Peter and Paul, Father Eusebius Beltran was chosen and named as the priest in charge of the mission.
During the next few years, various orders of religious sisters taught religious education at the Mission, and as the Saint Augustine community began to grow, the storage room where church was taking place had to be expanded. However, Saint Augustine experienced a setback when the building where they celebrated mass was sold in 1963. As the Saint Augustine parishioners struggled to find a temporary location, the need for a permanent church became apparent.
In April 1964, the mission bought a property with generous help from the Archdiocese of Atlanta. As a temporary solution, the house on the property was converted into a serviceable chapel and church office.
In 1974, the care of the church was reassigned to Saint Pius X in Conyers, with Father Paul Fogarty serving as the pastor. In 1977, the Saint Augustine Mission numbered over 90 families and on September 29, 1977, it was established as a parish with Father Patrick J. Padden serving as the parish’s first pastor.
Today, Saint Augustine has over 450 registered families.