Saint George, Newnan
A handful of Catholic families eager to worship in their own
community petitioned for a mission in this ante-bellum town in 1938.
In those days the small, stable congregation of St. George Mission
was able to worship in a parishioner's home. The congregation grew steadily
until a few years ago, when it began to boom.
The Atlanta suburbs have grown out as far as this seat of Coweta
County and newcomers are discovering its mixture of columned mansions and strip
shopping centers, 30 minutes from Hartsfield International Airport. They are
flocking to subdivisions springing up between Newnan and Peachtree City.
Thanks to years of vision and an attitude of welcome, St. George
Parish is ready for them.
The architecture of the church is dominated by large, luminous
stained glass windows, designed and made by Trappist monks at the Monastery of
the Holy Spirit in Conyers. Each was donated by a parishioner.
The mission, which became a parish in 1974, was served by
Redemptorist priests from 1950 until 1992, when it was returned to the pastoral